North-South Gas Corridor – Expansion of existing capacity between Hungary and Slovakia
Austria, Czechia, Poland, Croatia, Hungary, Romania, Slovakia
Ukraine, Serbia* not part of the 3Seas Initiative
- The capacity extension would create a bidirectional interconnection point, which increases the security of supply in Hungary and offers a new route to Southern sources (LNG, Black Sea, Balkan Stream, Azeri) towards North and West.
The present capacity of the interconnector in the direction of Slovakia-Hungary is 4.4 billion cubic metres per year (bcm/y) and in the direction of Hungary-Slovakia is 1.75 bcm/y. The capacity expansion towards Slovakia up to 5.2 bcm/y would mean a significant step in the development of the North-South Gas Corridor.
- Action & Economic test: 6 July 2020
- FID: 2020 Q3
- Engineering and Construction start: 2021 Q2
- Construction end: 2024 Q3
- Commercial start: 1/10/2024